Music Video

Sunday 13 November 2011

The week end and the lead up to it has been busy! As well as having four sessions and two viewings this week end Saturday and Sunday, on Thursday we spoke to a guy about updating our website. We like the look of some of the stuff he has showed us he's going to do, so keep you eyes pealed on the two-d website as some exciting changes coming soon...

On Friday I shot a promotional video for a band called Secret Genius from the Beds area. They're mainly a covers band but also have their own material. They range in ages and backgrounds. I arrived at the recording studio and unloaded my kit. My primary focus was going to be lighting. It was important that being confined to a smaller space, lighting was going to be key. I would always argue, primarily being a photographer - that lighting is the SINGLE most important thing at any gig, especially when covering something so creative and passionate as a band. Second to remembering to bring you camera anyway! The lighting has to reflect the energy and character of not only the personalities in the band, but their music as well.

I knew there were 5 members and so had to keep in mind we'd need to be able to 'see' them all, whether they were key in the shot or just in the background. I hadn't managed to locate any continuous lighting and had to make do with the lamps on my photography lights (Bowen 500's). Although continuous lighting would have been ideal, the subtle light of the amps in these heads actually worked a treat in the end. I was lucky enough the roof lights were blue and gave off an ambient glow of their own.

I'll post a version of the video once the band give it the ok, and its finished.

Cheers for now,

Dan












3 comments:

  1. LOVE the second and last photo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.s I actually like that they're a little bit grainy, adds to the vintage feel! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, jesus and dr seuss in the same band :O

    ReplyDelete